Reverse osmosis is a process that is widely used in treatment and purification of water. It uses a semi-permeable membrane to remove contaminants, large molecules, mineral salts and other solid substances from water. It eliminates a vast majority of water contaminants by pushing the water through the semi-permeable membrane.
This is usually done with the application of a certain amount of pressure (30-40 psi). Since highly purified water is essential for good health, having a 5 stage reverse osmosis drinking water system is very crucial.
This system produces highly purified and crystal clear water by making use of the five steps in the Reverse Osmosis drinking water system. It delivers high-quality water that can be utilized for both drinking and cooking, as well as other family chores.
The 5 Stage Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water System
In the 5 stage reverse osmosis potable water system, a combination of 3 high-efficiency SED and carbon pre-filters are utilized to achieve purity. After the carbon filters, there’s the RO membrane which is the most delicate and most important part. After this stage then comes the polishing filter just before dispensation. These steps work together to ensure that you get clean drinking water for you and your family’s health safety.
Stage 1: 5 Micron Polypropylene Sediment filter.
This is the first phase. It removes all the solid substances (above 5 microns in size) from the water that is fed into the system. These include sand, metals, and any other sediments. The lifespan of this filter is approximately six months.
Stage 2: Carbon Water Filter.
The carbon water filter removes chlorine to lead, aluminum, pesticides, herbicides and various other contaminants from the water. Chlorine destroys the pores of the RO membrane which makes it have larger pores that enhance contamination. It also removes oils from the water. This prevents the membrane from clogging.
This carbon channel does away with any taste and smell from the water. Its lifespan is also approximately 6-9 months. After that period, these filters must be changed. Failure to change them will harm the RO film and lead to incurring more costs. It will also make the water produced from the system to have a taste or smell.
Stage 3: 1 Micron Polypropylene Water Filter
This is the 3rd stage. It’s a 1-micron filter which shifts all the particles that are above 1 micron in size from the water. It clears any remaining sediments that are left in the water.
The approximate lifespan is six months.
Stage 4: Osmotic Membrane
This membrane has a 0.001 rating. It is the most important chamber of the 5 stage reverse osmosis system. It offers the finest filtration. The treated water is passed through this membrane. A pressure of around 35 psi is applied to force the water through.
Impure water that does not pass through the membrane is piped out. The pure water is then directed to the pressurized tank. This is around 75-80% of the water that was fed into the system.
The lifespan of the membrane is approximately 18 months.
Stage 5: Inline Activated Carbon Water Filter
It’s the 5th and final stage. Upon opening of the tap, water passes through this carbon water filter. It is intended to provide further purification for the water. Through final ‘polishing’ of the water, it ensures that the water produced meets its future standards and is highly purified for drinking.
Benefits of the 5 stage Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water System
• Helps in the elimination of up to 99% of contaminants. These include heavy metals, fluorine, chlorine, chromium, mercury, barium and other dissolved solids. These improves the water flavor and increases health benefits.
• It can supply highly purified water for your ice-maker or water dispenser by adding a branch tee fitting that connects the system and the water dispenser or icemaker. This joint is usually inserted between the faucet and the post-filter.
• They operate automatically. When the tank is full, the feed line is closed by automatic regulatory valves. This eliminates Manning of the system.
• The system saves you money. A lot of money is spent on bottled water. Purchase of bottled water is not friendly to the environment either. Having a reverse osmosis drinking water system eliminates bottled water.
• Easy installation of the scheme. It’s easy to connect the in/out points. No plumbing experience is required for you to install a 5 stage reverse osmosis drinking water system. It will come with a pressurized tank for water storage.
• You will also get a 12-month warranty from the manufacturer.
With the 5 stage reverse osmosis drinking water system, you can rest assured knowing that you and your family are consuming healthy drinking water. Considering the long-term economic and health benefits of this system, it is advisable for you to make sure that you acquire such a system.